The 3DO Topic

Started by onthinice, September 10, 2012, 19:39:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

onthinice

I was wondering if anyone knows much about the Game Guru for the 3DO.

It seems to be some kind of cheat device? If anyone has any information?

Thanks!

Shadowrunner

I have one, yes it's just like a game genie or game shark.
It's been a long time since I used it but I also remember that it has the ability to compress game files to free up space in the 3DOs limited memory.

zapiy

Never heard of that before, interesting stuff.

Own: Jaguar, Lynx, Dreamcast, Saturn, MegaDrive, MegaCD, 32X, GameGear, PS3, PS, PSP, Wii, GameCube, N64, DS, GBA, GBC, GBP, GB,  Xbox, 3DO, CDi,  WonderSwan, WonderSwan Colour NGPC

onthinice

Thanks for the information Shadowrunner!

Shadowrunner

Quote from: "onthinice"Thanks for the information Shadowrunner!

Not a problem.  If you're looking for one they can be found on ebay pretty cheap.  :)

onthinice

Great! I didn't know much about the Guru so your info really helped.

Anonymous

It's main function is editing save games.

onthinice

Rogue Trooper

Thread bump:

Recently reported how PS1 Soviet strike had started out on 3DO, but was not aware that PS1/PC Blood Omen:Legacy Of Kain had started out on 3DO also.

Shadowrunner

I would have loved to see those two games on the 3DO!
So many games got cancelled or moved to PS1 when it took off, really too bad.

Rogue Trooper

Quote from: "Shadowrunner"I would have loved to see those two games on the 3DO!

More i look into 3DO, more i wonder just what could have been.If only it had'nt launched with the price tag it did, hell who knows, i might have gone for it over a launch Jaguar and picked a Jag up down the line for AVP, Tempest, Iron S. and Doom etc

Shadowrunner

Quote from: "Rogue Trooper"
Quote from: "Shadowrunner"I would have loved to see those two games on the 3DO!

More i look into 3DO, more i wonder just what could have been.If only it had'nt launched with the price tag it did, hell who knows, i might have gone for it over a launch Jaguar and picked a Jag up down the line for AVP, Tempest, Iron S. and Doom etc

Not 100% sure on the timeline here but I think it was mid 1995 when they cut the price in half or more and sales really did pick up. There was a lot of good games coming out and there was a lot of talk about the M2 and the fact that the 3DO would be an upgradeable console. Things were looking really good and then the PS1 was launched and we all know how the story ends.

I can't blame Sony cause I like their games too much so instead I will blame Nintendo. Had they not backed out of the deal with Sony to build a CD add-on for the SNES the Playstation would have never been made and things would have been completely different. Damn you Nintendo  >:(    :21:

TL

Shadowrunner

Quote from: "The Laird"Good logic!!!!  :4:

Rogue Trooper

Sega took a look at 3DO technology did'nt they and later M2 technology? seem to recal them doing so, think with 3DO, more of a 'what do we need to be beating, powerwise for our 32 Bit CD system, hence getting caught slightly on the hop by details of Playstation specs.

With M2, this might have been around the time Sega started looking outside it's own R+D department for future console tech, as feeling was sega's own engineers just not coming up with the goods anymore (original design for Saturn trounced by Sony/PS1).Seem to recal them approaching Lockheed Martin (US Defence Contractor) at some point.

Upate:Hmmn, Lockheed admit there were talks about them doing chipset for 'Saturn 2' based around their 'Real3D' chipsets, but say both they and Sega decided not to pursue any developments together in the console market space, as it was very different to that of the arcade hardware market.

Sega rumoured to have ordered several M2 development kits, with view to porting arcade to it and it alone, so it'd have exclusive Sega games on, but word has it a mix of ego's and feeling the hardware was a let-down in terms of performance, put paid to that.