Author Topic: Net Yaroze: PlayStation 1 Homebrew!  (Read 3755 times)

Offline TL

• View Profile
Net Yaroze: PlayStation 1 Homebrew!
« on: September 08, 2012, 00:09:40 AM »

Offline Jag_Slave

• View Profile
Re: Net Yaroze: PlayStation 1 Homebrew!
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 01:56:17 AM »
That last tunnel game reminds me of Tube. Not bad!

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 02:01:35 AM »
Quote from: "Jag_Slave"
That last tunnel game reminds me of Tube. Not bad!

Yeah it's using real polygons but is certainly similar.

I remember Net Yaroze games being given away on some of the cover discs back in the day. Total Soccer is a great Sensible Soccer clone I seem to remember playing on one of them that is in that video.

Offline onthinice

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 06:12:24 AM »
Boulder Dash!

Offline 108 Stars

• View Profile
    • http://www.magicalgamefactory.com/
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 15:25:57 PM »
Great to see this!

Net Yaroze was really a good effort from Sony back in the day, I appreciate the idea a decade before XNA. Some nice little games and demos came out of it, I remember the small game that was like a polygonal Landstalker for example.

The real shame is what Sony did a few years back; they deleted tne Net Yaroze website with all archieves. Which means that all that was not released on coverdiscs is lost now. :(
Systems owned: Atari 2600, Lynx, Jaguar, NES, SNES, N64, GameBoy, Master System, Mega Drive, Dreamcast, Game Gear, PlayStation, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Portable, Xbox, Wonderswan

Offline dot.fyre

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 15:54:57 PM »
Quote from: "The Laird"
Total Soccer is a great Sensible Soccer clone

Absolutely. I regularly play this on my PSP. :)

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 15:55:06 PM »
Quote from: "108 Stars"
Great to see this!

Net Yaroze was really a good effort from Sony back in the day, I appreciate the idea a decade before XNA. Some nice little games and demos came out of it, I remember the small game that was like a polygonal Landstalker for example.

The real shame is what Sony did a few years back; they deleted tne Net Yaroze website with all archieves. Which means that all that was not released on coverdiscs is lost now. :(

That's unreal!  >:(

Just shows what arseholes Sony are.

Offline 108 Stars

• View Profile
    • http://www.magicalgamefactory.com/
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 16:10:20 PM »
Especially when you think about what it would have cost to keep the archieves up; Net Yaroze games were tiny, the catch was that it did not allowed reloading from a CD. So every game had to fit into the 2 MB RAM of the system. 2 MB per game!

And instead of just keeping the stuff up for historic purpose they deleted it. :(
Systems owned: Atari 2600, Lynx, Jaguar, NES, SNES, N64, GameBoy, Master System, Mega Drive, Dreamcast, Game Gear, PlayStation, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Portable, Xbox, Wonderswan

Offline TL

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 17:17:31 PM »
For those interested you can actually download the PS1 dev-kit HERE!

Offline nakamura

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2013, 14:08:20 PM »
Such a shame Sony deleted the archives. It shows how much they have changed since coming into the industry. They were extremely gamer focussed back in the PS1 era and still so in the PS2 era. Seemed to lose their way after that.

Yaroze is cool. I still have the PS1 demo disc, issue 42 with all of the released games on it at that point. Total Soccer was indeed really fun. Terra Incognita was an impressive RPG too.

Offline Rogue Trooper

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2013, 15:00:57 PM »
Quote from: "nakamura"
Such a shame Sony deleted the archives. It shows how much they have changed since coming into the industry. They were extremely gamer focussed back in the PS1 era and still so in the PS2 era. Seemed to lose their way after that.

Yaroze is cool. I still have the PS1 demo disc, issue 42 with all of the released games on it at that point. Total Soccer was indeed really fun. Terra Incognita was an impressive RPG too.

Yep, as i posted elsewhere, you've only to look at say how SEGA treated the Shinning Force developers, come arrival of the Dreamcast, SEGA under new management teams, had decided they were 'No longer needed' by SEGA and so were'nt considered essential for getting on-board for Dreamcast development.

New management teams whilst bringing new ideas to the table, seem to forget the key market that got them where they currently were and instead focus on new target auidance.

I still cannot believe Sony never went ahead with G-Police Online and Colony Wars Online on PS2, key PS1 franchises that would really have tapped into the potential online offered.

Instead things like Eyetoy, Singstar etc were given the resources and go-ahead and new market tapped into.

Offline DreamcastRIP

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 20:11:09 PM »
'The story of Net Yaroze, Sony's first indie push' -
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-07-16-the-story-of-yaroze-sonys-first-indie-push

A new article on the 'net that I thought may be of interest to those here interested in Net Yaroze.  :1:
Owned: Spectrum Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx ST 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive Mega-CD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS, GBm GBA GBC GBP GB VirtualBoy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk