Retro Video Gamer

Welcome to Retro Video Gamer => Retro News & Chat => Topic started by: TL on July 25, 2012, 14:32:40 PM

Title: Iconic Games You Have Never Played
Post by: TL on July 25, 2012, 14:32:40 PM
We were talking about this in the chat box and I thought it would make a great thread!

So what iconic / famous games are out there that you have never played and why?

For me its got to be Mario games, Zeldas and Final Fantasy games. This is because I can't stand platformers and RPGs.
Title: Re: Iconic Games You Have Never Played
Post by: Shadowrunner on July 25, 2012, 15:04:47 PM
I was never really into the SNES so I have never played the original Mario kart or Star Fox to name a couple.  One of the few consoles I never owned but it's at the top of my list to pick up.
Title: Re: Iconic Games You Have Never Played
Post by: Vyothric on July 25, 2012, 15:14:50 PM
Being a PC gamer back in the day I'm always catching up on these. I think there are still some PC classics that I've never played too, since most of the games I played were ones that came free with magazines.

Some of these may be less "iconic" than others, but are all fairly well known...I think - I've never played...Baldur's Gate, Breath of Fire, Civilisation, Chrono Trigger, Diablo, Double Dragon, Dune, Final Fantasy, Grim Fandango, Metal Gear Solid, Phantasy Star, Populous, Tomb Raider, Shenmue, Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, System Shock*, X-Com

Those are just some of the ones I can think of right now  :P

*I played System Shock 2 for a few minutes - hated the re-spawning.
Title: Re: Iconic Games You Have Never Played
Post by: TL on July 25, 2012, 15:35:50 PM
Quote from: "Shadowrunner"
I was never really into the SNES so I have never played the original Mario kart or Star Fox to name a couple.  One of the few consoles I never owned but it's at the top of my list to pick up.

I have never been into the SNES either but have played plenty of games on it, I borrowed one for a while once.

I have always found it a very unispiring console and it's still bottom of my list to pick up.
Title: Re: Iconic Games You Have Never Played
Post by: Shadowrunner on July 25, 2012, 17:05:31 PM
Quote from: "The Laird"
Quote from: "Shadowrunner"
I was never really into the SNES so I have never played the original Mario kart or Star Fox to name a couple.  One of the few consoles I never owned but it's at the top of my list to pick up.

I have never been into the SNES either but have played plenty of games on it, I borrowed one for a while once.

I have always found it a very unispiring console and it's still bottom of my list to pick up.

Understandable considering you don't like RPGs or platformers.
That's gotta be at least half the library of games released for it.
Title: Re: Iconic Games You Have Never Played
Post by: zapiy on July 25, 2012, 21:17:55 PM
That's a hard question and one i doubt i can answer properly but i will try and it may take a few posts lol.

To start i will look at PC games, most will be MMO's

Rift
Guild Wars
EVE
Everquest

I guess this list could be huge but this are just a few that i wish i had time for past and present.
Title: Re: Iconic Games You Have Never Played
Post by: TL on July 25, 2012, 21:21:13 PM
Quote from: "zapiy"
That's a hard question and one i doubt i can answer properly but i will try and it may take a few posts lol.

To start i will look at PC games, most will be MMO's

Rift
Guild Wars
EVE
Everquest

I guess this list could be huge but this are just a few that i wish i had time for past and present.

I have never even heard of any of those  :o
Title: Re: Iconic Games You Have Never Played
Post by: Greyfox on July 25, 2012, 22:35:59 PM
@laird you should give your Jag and lynx a rest..and find out about these games :)

For me, games I never played where the command and conquer games or pik-man game on the game cube, full throttle or any of the  Lucas Arts adventure games or any of the X-wing games series, So there is lots there, I could go on and on..or anything on the spectrum computer, never played any of the games created on that, so this equals to 1,000s. Lol. 
Title: Re: Iconic Games You Have Never Played
Post by: TL on July 25, 2012, 22:44:22 PM
Quote from: "Greyfox"
@laird you should give your Jag and lynx a rest..and find out about these games :-

I love Command & Conquer though on the Saturn, great game.
Title: Re: Iconic Games You Have Never Played
Post by: Vyothric on July 25, 2012, 23:00:08 PM
Quote from: "Greyfox"
@laird you should give your Jag and lynx a rest..and find out about these games :-

If you've never played one then good. Everyone should avoid them at all costs. I made the mistake of playing one once. Way more bad times than good.
Title: Re: Iconic Games You Have Never Played
Post by: TL on July 26, 2012, 17:37:22 PM
Quote from: "Vyothric"
If you've never played one then good. Everyone should avoid them at all costs. I made the mistake of playing one once. Way more bad times than good.

Never touched on and never want to!

Some more really big games I have never played:

Halo (any of them)
Metal Gear Solid (any of them)
Resident Evil 2+ (only played the first one)
Title: Re: Iconic Games You Have Never Played
Post by: Vyothric on July 26, 2012, 18:08:52 PM
I think I did actually try the first Halo game. I just didn't see what the big deal was.

Personally, Resident Evil 2 is my favourite of the series - by quite a long way. Haven't played any of the later games though like 4 or 5 or whichever one they're on now.

I also haven't played: Medal of Honour, Gran Turismo
Title: Re: Iconic Games You Have Never Played
Post by: Minerals on July 26, 2012, 18:59:24 PM
Resident Evil: Code Veronica was the best one of the series.

Ive still yet to play Super Mario Galaxy or Zelda: Skyward Sword. I think i have pretty much played almost every other big game that i wanted to.
Title: Re: Iconic Games You Have Never Played
Post by: Carlos on July 26, 2012, 19:18:16 PM
Elite, never had a Beeb and never splashed out for it on the Speccy, I think it was quite dear?
Title: Re: Iconic Games You Have Never Played
Post by: TL on July 30, 2012, 16:09:08 PM
Quote from: "Carl"
Elite, never had a Beeb and never splashed out for it on the Speccy, I think it was quite dear?

I played the BBC version but always wondered what all the fuss was about.

I have never played many of the C64 games people bang on about like Uridium, Sanaxion, Paradroid, Mayhem In Monsterland and Armalyte.
Title: Re: Iconic Games You Have Never Played
Post by: TrekMD on July 30, 2012, 16:44:35 PM
Quote from: "The Laird"

Never touched on and never want to!

Some more really big games I have never played:

Halo (any of them)
Metal Gear Solid (any of them)
Resident Evil 2+ (only played the first one)

Never played any of these either on a modern console.  I do have Halo 2600.  Does that count?   ;D
Title: Re: Iconic Games You Have Never Played
Post by: TL on August 05, 2012, 16:46:32 PM
Some more I thought of:

I have only played the first Tomb Raider

Never played any Leisure Suit Larry games

Havn't played any version of FIFA past 1996
Title: Re: Iconic Games You Have Never Played
Post by: Greyfox on August 05, 2012, 17:07:19 PM
I never played any of the Shenmue games, which are listed as one of the try before you die gaming lists out there

another was the Final Fantasy games, just for the love nor money could never get into them!

the Command and Conquer games where another, although i did try red alert when it first came out and didn't like it..so maybe that's why.

there is of course lots more..but I'd be here all day listing them...
Title: Re: Iconic Games You Have Never Played
Post by: Vyothric on August 05, 2012, 17:54:53 PM
Quote from: "The Laird"
Never played any Leisure Suit Larry games

Haven't played these either.

Quote from: "The Laird"
Havn't played any version of FIFA past 1996

I think I've played FIFA 93.

Some others I haven't played:

Another World, Contra, Crash Bandicoot, Killer Instinct, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Spyro the Dragon, Thunder Force IV
Title: Re: Iconic Games You Have Never Played
Post by: TL on April 02, 2013, 17:59:15 PM
Thread bump as I noticed somebody saying the other day that they had never played Spy Hunter!

The platformers feature in RG made me realise I have never played any Crash Bandicoot games!
Title: Re: Iconic Games You Have Never Played
Post by: Vyothric on April 02, 2013, 18:19:00 PM
I've now played Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, Thunder Force IV and also Killer Instinct for a few minutes, but still haven't played any of the others I mentioned in my previous posts.
Title: Re: Iconic Games You Have Never Played
Post by: Bobinator on April 03, 2013, 14:24:44 PM
Wing Commander, along with X-Wing/Tie Fighter. Well, I have VAGUE memories of playing a little bit of one of the Star Wars flight sims, but this was so long ago I still think it doesn't count. I don't do flight simulators for the most part, unless they're really "arcadey" like Decent.

Final Fantasy 7. Not big on JRPGs.

Metal Gear Solid. Not that big on stealth games, really.

Any Jeff Minter game. Although, since Tempest 2000 has a DOS port, I could, at the least, look into that.

Myst & The 7th Guest. I'm not really into logic puzzles.
Title: Re: Iconic Games You Have Never Played
Post by: TL on April 03, 2013, 14:32:20 PM
Quote from: "Bobinator"
Any Jeff Minter game. Although, since Tempest 2000 has a DOS port, I could, at the least, look into that.


Seriously missing out there!
Title: Re: Iconic Games You Have Never Played
Post by: davyk on April 03, 2013, 16:23:19 PM
Halo, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest.

All the modern muck like Bioshock and Gears of War etc. that just don't interest me - anyone here think I should give them a go?

Elite.

Anything with FIFA in the title.
Title: Re: Iconic Games You Have Never Played
Post by: Vyothric on April 03, 2013, 16:26:47 PM
Quote from: "davyK"
All the modern muck like Bioshock and Gears of War etc. that just don't interest me - anyone here think I should give them a go?

No. I did try Bioshock (the first one) and it looked like it would be quite good, but the enemies constantly respawn and that just killed it for me.
Title: Re: Iconic Games You Have Never Played
Post by: Shadowrunner on April 03, 2013, 17:15:42 PM
Quote from: "davyK"
Halo, Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest.

All the modern muck like Bioshock and Gears of War etc. that just don't interest me - anyone here think I should give them a go?

Elite.

Anything with FIFA in the title.

I've played Gears 1 and 2 but didn't care enough about the series to bother with the 3rd game so for me it's not a must play series. Bioschock on the other hand is incredible! Loved the first two games and going to pick up Infinite real soon. I definitely think you should try that series but that's just my opinion  :)
Title: Re: Iconic Games You Have Never Played
Post by: dcultrapro on April 03, 2013, 17:27:04 PM
pretty much anything from Nintendo's back catalogue of 8 bit, 16 bit and 64 bit titles I've NEVER played, stand out ones are Zelda, Mario, Pokemon, stuff like that, I have a Gamecube and Wii so I've played some stuff and I've played the odd Mario via either emulation or friends houses in the past but have no idea which ones I've played lol

I also never played on any of the OLDER Atari consoles, only had a passing period of Spectrum ownership and my brother and father had commodores... but for commodore AND Spectrum I have absolutely NO IDEA what games I played lol... other than Batman and Ghost Busters 2... I know I played them!

So yeah I missed virtually every Atari and Amiga classic and any other home pc or console game consider a classic until the Mega Drive/Master System lol

 :9:
Title: Re: Iconic Games You Have Never Played
Post by: onthinice on April 04, 2013, 00:53:39 AM
Quote from: "dcultrapro"
pretty much anything from Nintendo's back catalogue of 8 bit, 16 bit and 64 bit titles I've NEVER played, stand out ones are Zelda, Mario, Pokemon, stuff like that, I have a Gamecube and Wii so I've played some stuff and I've played the odd Mario via either emulation or friends houses in the past but have no idea which ones I've played lol

I also never played on any of the OLDER Atari consoles, only had a passing period of Spectrum ownership and my brother and father had commodores... but for commodore AND Spectrum I have absolutely NO IDEA what games I played lol... other than Batman and Ghost Busters 2... I know I played them!

So yeah I missed virtually every Atari and Amiga classic and any other home pc or console game consider a classic until the Mega Drive/Master System lol

 :33: :4:
Title: Re: Iconic Games You Have Never Played
Post by: dcultrapro on April 04, 2013, 08:53:47 AM
yeah... maybe I should just be renamed "DreamcastPro" or something lol... I've got 76 Saturn games now but that still doesn't make me a pro lol...
Title: Re: Iconic Games You Have Never Played
Post by: Bobinator on April 04, 2013, 15:50:22 PM
Oh, yeah, what else... I think I've played like a grand total of three Spectrum games, so I'm assuming I haven't played a lot of stuff people would call "iconic".

I also haven't played any Halo since the first, or any Call of Duty.
Title: Re: Iconic Games You Have Never Played
Post by: onthinice on April 04, 2013, 17:22:43 PM
Quote from: "dcultrapro"
yeah... maybe I should just be renamed "DreamcastPro" or something lol... I've got 76 Saturn games now but that still doesn't make me a pro lol...

Saturnultrapro or Turbo Graphix-16ultrapro sound good :113:
Title: Re: Iconic Games You Have Never Played
Post by: TL on April 04, 2013, 17:24:58 PM
turboultramegapro64  :24:
Title: Re: Iconic Games You Have Never Played
Post by: onthinice on April 04, 2013, 17:29:39 PM
Quote from: "The Laird"
turboultramegapro64  :21:
Title: Re: Iconic Games You Have Never Played
Post by: dougtitchmarsh on April 04, 2013, 17:34:40 PM
I've never played
Halo
Megaman
Mario (except Mario64)

and probably many others