Retro Video Gamer

Welcome to Retro Video Gamer => Retro News & Chat => Topic started by: TL on January 18, 2013, 21:43:36 PM

Title: Let's Compare: Road Blasters
Post by: TL on January 18, 2013, 21:43:36 PM
Another arcade classic from Atari Games:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-Z-bnJftEk (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-Z-bnJftEk)
Title: Re: Let's Compare: Road Blasters
Post by: TrekMD on January 18, 2013, 21:50:47 PM
Pretty good conversions for the most part.  The Lynx, as always, does a great job.  The MD version looks awesome, though!
Title: Re: Let's Compare: Road Blasters
Post by: Rogue Trooper on January 18, 2013, 21:52:32 PM
Sticking with 8 Bit Micros on this one:

My god, C64 version is worse than i remember (and to think i bought this).

CPC version impressed, colourful, has sound FX, seems like good use of hardware.

Speccy version none too shabby either.
Title: Re: Let's Compare: Road Blasters
Post by: TL on January 18, 2013, 22:04:30 PM
The 8-bit versions:

The Amstrad version looks nice but boy is it slow! The Spectrum version is ok, except for lack of colour. That C64 version is abysmal. NES version looks totally wrong, the angle is too high up - don't like it at all.

The 16-bit versions:

Atari ST version looks excellent, very close to the arcade game except the car seems a bit too wide but that could be a fault of the emu having the wrong aspect ratio. The Amiga version is identical except for some reason they added music, why? The arcade game didn't have music so neither should the home versions. The Lynx version is a big favourite of mine, absolutely arcade perfect from the look right down to the speech (only version to have it!). I was bloody impressed by how close the Mega Drive version is too, I want to get this now!
Title: Re: Let's Compare: Road Blasters
Post by: 108 Stars on January 19, 2013, 01:00:24 AM
Actually all seemed fairly decent to me. Not like I would want to play them all, but I've seen much worse on the 8-bit computers as far as arcade ports go. The C64 version suffers from the usual depressing color palette, and the CPC version is a bit choppy; the Spectrum version seems nice and green.

The NES version got the perspective wrong, it seems like the camera is too high and too far away.

The Lynx version is very well done, and the MD version seems very close to the arcade.
Title: Re: Let's Compare: Road Blasters
Post by: Rogue Trooper on January 19, 2013, 11:38:42 AM
Quote from: "108 Stars"
Actually all seemed fairly decent to me. Not like I would want to play them all, but I've seen much worse on the 8-bit computers as far as arcade ports go. The C64 version suffers from the usual depressing color palette, and the CPC version is a bit choppy; the Spectrum version seems nice and green.

The NES version got the perspective wrong, it seems like the camera is too high and too far away.

The Lynx version is very well done, and the MD version seems very close to the arcade.

The C64 version to myself, always felt very 'empty', missing any spark of excitement, think had it been given toi a better team to convert, more could have been done with it.
Title: Re: Let's Compare: Road Blasters
Post by: onthinice on January 19, 2013, 16:44:57 PM
Thanks for posting this. I have never seen it played. I have the box(no game) for the Nes version. If I ever get a copy it will be for the Lynx. :) :
Title: Re: Let's Compare: Road Blasters
Post by: 108 Stars on January 19, 2013, 17:27:29 PM
Quote from: "onthinice"
Thanks for posting this. I have never seen it played. I have the box(no game) for the Nes version. If I ever get a copy it will be for the Lynx. :P
Title: Re: Let's Compare: Road Blasters
Post by: TrekMD on January 19, 2013, 17:33:55 PM
Quote from: "108 Stars"
Quote from: "onthinice"
Thanks for posting this. I have never seen it played. I have the box(no game) for the Nes version. If I ever get a copy it will be for the Lynx. :P

That sounds like an odd couple, if ever I heard of one!  LOL
Title: Re: Let's Compare: Road Blasters
Post by: onthinice on January 20, 2013, 02:44:39 AM
LOL! Does any have an extra set of instructions? Then it will be truly complete! ???
Title: Re: Let's Compare: Road Blasters
Post by: TL on January 20, 2013, 10:32:35 AM
Quote from: "onthinice"
LOL! Does any have an extra set of instructions? Then it will be truly complete! ???

From the Mega Drive version?
Title: Re: Let's Compare: Road Blasters
Post by: onthinice on January 22, 2013, 03:33:45 AM
I was hoping for the Nes version.
Title: Re: Let's Compare: Road Blasters
Post by: Rogue Trooper on June 09, 2013, 19:47:52 PM
(http://www.retrovideogamer.co.uk/reviews/lynx/Roadblaster.png)


Speaking of Roadblasters, anyone ever try Highway Hawks on Amiga? blatant Road Blasters clone, but looks ok.